Re: Data Constraints Vs Application Constraints

From: Alfredo Novoa <alfredo_novoa_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2005 17:11:19 +0100

On 9 Mar 2005 05:05:34 -0800, gibsong4077_at_yahoo.co.uk (sparky) wrote:

>I imagine look pretty weak at first
>i.e. the systems working fine, without errors etc, so we don't need
>another overhead.

It would not be overhead becase if you implement one constraint with the DBMS then you could remove that constraint from all the applications achieving better performance.

Another advantage would be that new application development will be cheaper.

>As a consequence I am compiling a list of arguements for enforcing
>data integrity within the database (as well as within the app) and
>would be interested in anyone's opinions and/or experiences within a
>similar situation, and what they found to be the key arguements which
>won the business round.

The most important is: significant cost savings in the development of new applications or new functionality.

The second but by far is: performance gains.

Regards Received on Wed Mar 09 2005 - 17:11:19 CET

Original text of this message