MySQL design problem for tracking inventory

From: dcm_scorpio <dcm_scorpio_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 5 Mar 2005 21:03:50 -0800

Hello,

I am tasked with designing a database for my company to track inventory of different items we might sell. We can't use any of the "shopping carts" out there because this is really more for internal use and we will be integrating it into our existing system later.

I need some help with the design of the database for this part only.

The problem I am running into is that I need to be able to have it track inventory based on a combination of "options" available for each product, not just the product itself.

So for example:

Assume I have a product_name of "ski jacket" with a product_id of 1234 and its other corresponding description fields etc. We need to be able to add "options" to that product_id (w/ a join table etc.) that says product_id 1234 is available in colors [black|red|blue] and sizes[Small|Medium|Large]. Inventory then needs to be tracked for EVERY combination of options and not just "ski jacket" in general. (i.e. - blue/small = 20 but blue/medium = 0).

I would love to hear any thoughts or suggestions on this, or how you may have accomplished this already. Thanks! Received on Sun Mar 06 2005 - 06:03:50 CET

Original text of this message