User Defined Fields - HELP PLEASE!

From: news.hp.com <bunchah_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 09:05:07 -0600

I've got a political (and technical question) I could use a hand with.

I developed (and maintain) an inventory system for a large company. It has over 150 regular users, one of which is bucking really hard for 5-10 "User Defined Fields". Read that as free-form text fields.

Can anyone here present a strong argument as to why doing this as a bad idea? Management, as usual, doesn't understand that allowing users to put any random data they want in these fields is bad in the long run.

It'd be nice if you can point me to reference material where this is spoken against (either online or in currently available publications). I need something concrete to take with me to a meeting this afternoon.

Thanks in advance! Received on Wed Feb 16 2005 - 16:05:07 CET

Original text of this message