Re: Representation for Heterogeneous Attribute Set

From: Mikito Harakiri <mikharakiri_at_iahu.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 11:33:24 -0800

"David Cressey" <david.cressey_at_earthlink.net> wrote in message news:7J2Pd.9180$oO.2621_at_newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net...
> Now, here's the rub: Can you create a new bond type without creating a
new
> tuple type? I think the answer is no.
> Can you create a new tuple type without altering metadata? I think the
> answer is no.
> Can you trust end users with the management of metadata? I think the
answer
> is no.
>
> The usual solution, which you've called "dynamic" is to disguise metadata
as
> data, by storing it in user tables.
> That may be the best you are going to do. But it still means that your
> users are managing metadata, whether they know it or not.

Seriously, why end-users managing metadata is a bad idea? Is security compromised? Can users wreck a havoc on the database schema? Even with properly designed roles and privileges? Also, isn't the line between data and metadata somewhat artificial? Received on Fri Feb 11 2005 - 20:33:24 CET

Original text of this message