Re: Can we solve this -- NFNF and non-1NF at Loggerheads

From: Alfredo Novoa <alfredo_novoa_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2005 16:00:08 +0100

On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 18:34:06 -0600, "Dawn M. Wolthuis" <dwolt_at_tincat-group.comREMOVE> wrote:

>This is either a quote or variation on one from George Box "All models are
>flawed, but some are useful"
>
>A model is like a metaphor -- it does not have to map every aspect of
>reality, just those that are useful for whatever you are trying to do.

"Model" is an overloaded word. Some meanings of the word have little to do with others.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=model

The Relational Model is NOT a model of the physical world.

>Relational theory gives one approach to modeling data and it has pros & cons
>compared to other models.

Nobody was able to show any objective "con" compared to the other known data models.

> I think someone was right on when they suggested
>that if Date & Darwin want to redefine 1NF, then they should call the new
>model by another name.

It was not a redefinition, it was a clarification. 1NF never changed but it was misinterpreted (in the past) by almost everybody, Date included.

Regards Received on Wed Feb 09 2005 - 16:00:08 CET

Original text of this message