Re: Can we solve this -- NFNF and non-1NF at Loggerheads

From: Alfredo Novoa <alfredo_novoa_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2005 22:04:37 +0100

On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 13:37:17 -0500, "Alan" <alan_at_erols.com> wrote:

>Nothing has changed.

It has changed, but it seems that you are not aware of that.

> 1NF means (and has always meant) that all values are
>atomic (simple, indivisible)

Atomic is not a precise word. We can not base any precise definition on that term.

>, and any value must be a single value from the
>domain of that attribute

E.g. a relation value.

> (E.g., if the attribute is date_of_birth, then the

Dates are divisible. They have: year, month and day.

>value must be a date_of_birth, not a hire_date or last_name).

The date of bird of someone is the hire date of others :)

> It does not
>allow nested data. It does not allow multi-valued or composite attributes.
>It is very simple.

And wrong.

> It has been explained.

And debunked.

> Oracle, (and other RDBMSes)

Oracle is not an RDBMS.

Regards Received on Sat Feb 05 2005 - 22:04:37 CET

Original text of this message