Re: Views for denomalizing

From: <lauri.pietarinen_at_atbusiness.com>
Date: 4 Feb 2005 12:25:16 -0800

Alfredo Novoa wrote:
> On 2 Feb 2005 22:34:47 -0800, lauri.pietarinen_at_atbusiness.com wrote:
>
> >1NF is just another way to say that all data must be perceived as
> >relations,
>
> That is the Information Principle, not 1NF.
>
> The Information Principle is a prerequsite to normalization.

Isn't it actually a prerequisit to the relational model, in a way? Isn't it more basic? Perhaps the RM is "just" a datamodel that adheres

to the Information Principle?

> IMO 1NF is supefluous and only exists due to historical reasons.
> Normalization starts with 2NF.

OK, I can agree with that. So maybe the term should be dropped all together.

regards,
Lauri Pietarinen Received on Fri Feb 04 2005 - 21:25:16 CET

Original text of this message