(wrong string) ­ffed Idiot, Ignoramus, Troll

From: Alan <not.me_at_rcn.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 22:36:21 -0500

"Dawn M. Wolthuis" <dwolt_at_tincat-group.comREMOVE> wrote in message news:ctrrnn$26j$1_at_news.netins.net...
> <snip>
> "I gotta admit that I thought you were joking too", "I'm surprised
> [Neo] is willing to post in this forum again since most of us are no
> longer willing to listen.." Dawn Wolthuis
> <snip>
>
> Neo -- Perhaps you will simply add this to your repository of quotations
> (stored using what data model?), without taking it to heart, but I'm
hoping
> you will read and understand what I'm trying to say below and that it
might
> have some impact, however small, on your future postings.
>
> Here are the problems I have with your postings:
>
> 1) Your ethnics and professionalism are both in question with the way you
> handled your, apparently fake, challenge a while back. You announced a
> challenge, with an award, on this forum. It seems that most people who
> followed the discussions are in agreement that Hugo met your challenge. I
> did not verify that for myself, but from what I read, it did seem that
> whatever you wrote up as your challenge (initially, when it was announced)
> is something that Hugo spent time on, met, and then did not get the award.
> There are a number of ways you could have handled this if you made a
mistake
> in offering a reward you did not have or did not intend to provide.
>
> Possible correction: Post an apology to Hugo and the community for your
> phony challenge even though it is old news (when it comes to such matters
of
> ethics and character, people have long memories).
>
> 2) Your responses to questions about theory have long examples that are
> unintelligible to anyone who is not tapped into your brain. You do not
meet
> the reader half-way -- you expect them to come to you 100% of the way,
every
> time. I'm weary of attempting to read these examples -- tell me what your
> point is, in English, and put an example at the end if it will help me,
the
> reader, to understand your point.
>
> Possible correction: Don't start all of your postings with examples we
can't
> tap into or have seen before. Respond to the subject in sentences. Feel
> free to describe your theories, but if you must give an example, lead us
> into it so we have a clue what you are doing. Examples are not important
> for everything.
>
> 3) Your goals do not align with anything I care about. You have said that
> you have no practical goal in mind with the development of your database.
> realize this is a theory discussion, but I am not interested in theorizing
> about something of no importance. What are you looking to achieve? What
> are you looking to add to the discipline? To society? It sounds like you
> have an intellectual exercise and are simply entertaining yourself.

> [...]

Dawn,

Neo did attempt many, many times to explain his idea and what he was attempting to accomplish (to one degree or another). The problem is that he was unable to convince anyone here that his idea was a good one. Everyone here (and I do mean everyone) who commented felt that his idea was flawed in one way or another, and attempted to explain to him why they thought so. The discussion often centered around redundancy in databases, and the discussion itself became redundant. He was unable to accept that his definition of redundancy was incorrect in a database context, even though it was explained to him repeatedly in many ways (hmmm, this sounds familar- sorry) where his thinking was flawed. I feel that he just put so much time and energy into bringing his "child" to life, that he could not accept that it was ill-conceived (couldn't resist the pun).

Another problem was the challenge that Hugo accepted and met. I believe Neo was so confident that he was correct, that no one could possibly meet the challenge, that he felt it was a safe bet. Turned out that it wasn't, and though the prize was only $1000- he apparently does not have the $1000 to award (I would suggest that he is not gainfully employed based on the quantity of text he posts here), so he is placed in the awkward position of defending an undefensible position. He restated the challenge, upping the requirements, but Usenet has a long memory.

And so, Neo has scaled back his posts to just code from his XDb, as any explanation that would go with it would be shot down again and again. It's very sad, actually. he obviously has a lot of energy and appears to be bright- but his stubbornness is his downfall. I suspect he is very young, as he shows no wisdom- a wise person learns from his mistakes and moves on.

To close, "From each failure, the seeds of a greater success are sown." W. Clement Stone, founder of the Combined Insurance Company of America, motivational speaker and author, and one of the wealthiest men in the U.S. in his time.

Anyway, that's my $.02... Received on Thu Feb 03 2005 - 04:36:21 CET

Original text of this message