Re: Organizations with two or more Managers

From: Alan <not.me_at_rcn.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 18:10:02 -0500

"Mikito Harakiri" <mikharakiri_at_iahu.com> wrote in message news:LqnAd.33$oQ6.120_at_news.oracle.com...
> "Alan" <not.me_at_rcn.com> wrote in message
> > There's a common sitiation where a person reports directly to a manager
> but
> > has a "dotted line" relationship with another person. The "dotted line"
> > reasons vary wildly, but the relationship is real.
>
> OK. The question is how often (if ever) the users ask to find a chain of
> supervisors by dotted relationship.

As with everything else, "it depends". In my organization, it's whenever the reporting structure changes, and then it's only to create a new org chart. I can imagine situations where this could be asked all day long, every dayand  others where it's once a year, if at all. BTW, with dotted lines, there usually is not a chain. An example: a person reports directly to his manager. For a certain project, the person may _also_ report to a different person, but only on matters pertatining to that project. The person's time is divided, and he essentially has two bosses giving out work assignments, usually with conflicting agendas. His "real" manager, however, determines his raise. Received on Thu Dec 30 2004 - 00:10:02 CET

Original text of this message