Re: tracking shipments, inventory

From: Frank Hamersley <FrankHamersley_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2004 06:48:58 GMT

"-CELKO-" wrote
> A Guild was a group which would make good any actions of its members:
> Guild member "X" fails to deliver the
> silverware/goldware/upholstery/ironwork/whatever promised, the Guild
> finishes his contract and puts the Guild's hallmark on the pieces.

Damn, I should have googled before grabbing the term, but I throw myself on the mercy of my peers is saying that I was just trying to soften the blow lest I be branded a heretic.

> The stat I use to scare people is that it takes SIX YEARS ON THE JOB to
> become a Union Journeyman Carpenter in New York State, but only SIX
> WEEKS in a MS certification cram course to be a "database/C#/VB guru"
> by comparison. That was Journeyman, not Master.

Personally I eschew these vendor derived qualifications. That is partly because I always prefer to be completely devoid of vendor associations so when acting as consultant I can remain independent. I can accept that they go some way in improving the community of skills on complex products, but I feel they are over promoted in terms of assessing a persons stature in the industry. This is because they are marketed by the vendors to underpin their own product range, not to improve skills in general.

> But I am an
> engineer/geek and I do believe in Big-S "stupidity" -- newbies who will
> not hear any criticism of their work, self-taught programmers who read
> a book entitled "Learn SQL in 10 Days" and now know everything on the
> 11-th day.

I can relate to this....occupational hazard I guess.

Cheers, Jiim. Received on Mon Dec 27 2004 - 00:48:58 CST