Re: 1GB Tables as Classes, or Tables as Types, and all that refuted

From: Ja Lar <jalar_at_nomail.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 10:12:06 +0100

"Alfredo Novoa" <alfredo_novoa_at_hotmail.com>... .
> On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 10:41:09 +0100, "Ja Lar" <ingen_at_mail.her> wrote:
>
> >> You are playing with words again. Graph theory is not better or worse
> >> than predicate logic or differential calculus, but the Relational
> >> Model is dramatically superior to the graph based data models.
> >
> >Don't you remotely see that you are "playing with words" yourself.
>
> No, I am not.
>
> >You are giving no arguments what so ever, but "opininons" and adjectives
as
> >"horrendous complex and inflexibility", "severe inherent", "from 1st
> >century" (well, that's younger than logic btw), "dramatically
superior"...

> They are well known facts that everybody that works with databases
> should know.
>
> >Repeating dislikes with (new) adjectives does not prove any point (except
> >perhaps that there is no proof).
>
> They were proven decades ago. They were inquestionable facts when I
> studied database theory in the university.
>
> You have a lot of material about this in the oldest volumes of the
> "Relational Database Writtings" serial.
>
> >You may very well have the correct conclusions (in fact I think you have
> >here).
> >
> >So, what _is_ the "inflexibility" in XML?
>
> The well known inflexibility of the Hierarchical Model.
>
> >What _are_ the inherent AND severe problems in graph models (we are not
> >talking implentation, remember).
>
> The navigational and procedural nature of these data management
> approaches among other things.
>
> >By _what measure(s)_ are Relations Model dramatically superior to graph
> >based data models (again, not implementation).
>
> Flexiblility, simplicity, power, and all that you learned when you
> studied database theory.

All nothing but repetition of the same postulates, not a shred of substance, let alone evidence.

>They were inquestionable facts when I
>studied database theory in the university.

As Dawn points out, once it was an inquestionable fact that the Earth was flat. But that was a long time ago... Received on Tue Dec 14 2004 - 10:12:06 CET

Original text of this message