Re: 1GB Tables as Classes, or Tables as Types, and all that refuted

From: Alfredo Novoa <alfredo_at_ncs.es>
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2004 10:13:50 GMT

On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 19:34:06 GMT, Jan Hidders <jan.hidders_at_REMOVETHIS.pandora.be> wrote:

>I already did that in this thread and you chose to ignore it.

Do you mean this?

>>From a scientific point the situation is actually very simple. The
>>hypothetis predicts that you run into certain problems when you build
>>DBMSs that are based on this principle. However, such databases have
>>been built and the problems weren't there.

The problems are not in the construction of the DBMSs they are in the use of such DBMSs.

>> What is nonsense are OODBMS and XMLDBMS research.
>
>Just repeating a claim is not very interesting. Actually supplying some
>evidence for it would really help the discussion.

OODBMSs inherit most of the problems of the Network DBMSs and XML DBMSs inherit most of the problems of the Hierarchical DBMSs. Both were a return to a wrong and abandoned path, and they are being abandoned again due to the same problems.

Regards Received on Thu Dec 09 2004 - 04:13:50 CST