Re: Multi-Currency in RDBMS: Integer, Decimal, Float.

From: Gene Wirchenko <genew_at_mail.ocis.net>
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 17:13:51 -0800

"LineVoltageHalogen" <tropicalfruitdrops_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

>Jonathan, the documet to which I refered can be found at the link you
>provided, particularly:
>http://ww2.hursley.ibm.com/decimal/decifaq1.html. When you say
>floating point decimal what do you mean? I was under the impression
>that the decimal type and float type are different? 1/10 = .10 in

     They are orthogonal. You can have decimal floating point.

>decimal world, 1/10 = .099999 in float point world, I could be wrong
>but I believe this is how things work within both Oracle and MSSQL.

     ...in binary floating point.

>Floating point is an approximation and decimal is exact. I really

     Floating point is an approximation. Decimal may or may not be exact. 1/3 is not represented exactly in binary floating point or decimal floating point, but would be in trinary floating point.

>appreciate your taking the time to answer my post, what you have
>provided has been a huge help with regards to resources.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

Computerese Irregular Verb Conjugation:

     I have preferences.