Re: funny article

From: Dawn M. Wolthuis <dwolt_at_tincat-group.comREMOVE>
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2004 13:02:50 -0600

"Jan Hidders" <jan.hidders_at_REMOVETHIS.pandora.be> wrote in message news:JF1sd.8912$WF.623718_at_phobos.telenet-ops.be...
> Costin Cozianu wrote:
> >
> > Do you mind if I ask you if this church of XML is abotu a data model or
> > about a document model ?
>
> Hmm, I would say it's somewhere in between. The term "data exchange
> model" describes it well, I think. It's in any case certainly not
> something you should use for defining general conceptual models, (neith
> is the relational model, but I digress) but in the near future it will
> have all the necessary features of a data model.
<snip>
 From the database perspective one cannot really make a judgement until
> XML as a data model is truly and well there, and things have only just
> begun to take shape. The essential component, a query language, is not
> even a finished standard yet and query optimization research and other
> typical database subjects (concurrency, integrity, et cetera) are still
> very much in their infancy.
>
> -- Jan Hidders

OK, I'll bite -- what is the status of the "XML as a data model" and where would I read the most recent information in that regard? I'm not a member of the church, but willing to listen in on the sermons if I don't have to kneel.

At a high level, I believe that what I have been using, along with many others not using the relational model, is very similar to what might be termed an XML data model. I've been working to give this shape as a data model (off and on) but have held off of late because it appears that those in the XML world will do the heavy lifting for me.

Cheers! --dawn Received on Sat Dec 04 2004 - 20:02:50 CET

Original text of this message