Re: funny article

From: Jan Hidders <jan.hidders_at_REMOVETHIS.pandora.be>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 23:26:16 GMT

Dawn M. Wolthuis wrote:
> "Jan Hidders" <jan.hidders_at_REMOVETHIS.pandora.be> wrote in message
>

>>Mikito Harakiri wrote:
>>
>>>http://www.zefhemel.com/archives/2004/09/12/the-church-of-xml
>>
>>ROTFL! It's hanging on the wall in my office now. :-)

> Delightful! Disappointing to find out that XML is female, however, as I was
> taught to worship only men and male icons (being from a US red state). Ah
> well.

To be honest, I actually think of XML as masculin (eXtremly Masculin Language?) because it has all these angular brackets. If it were female the brackets would have been, I dunno, rounder. :-) Which just shows why XML is so wonderful: it can be many things to many people. :-)

> As humorous as the worship of XML might be, equally humorous is the fear of
> the same, as in beliefs such as:
>
> STOP! Be afraid! Your livelihood is under attack by a new approach to
> formatted data. While comma-quote (comma-separated, comma-delimited,
> tab-delimited, csv, etc) formats did no physical harm, we are now being
> attacked by a data format so powerful that it will topple our profession.
> DO NOT TOUCH! If you get any of the XML on your hands, it will start oozing
> into every part of your being. <soul>It will consume you!</soul> Anything
> you touch will then be wrapped in XML. This will not only make your stuff
> dog-ugly, but will slow you down to a point where medication will not be
> effective in reviving you. Everything you once held dear will mean nothing
[Quoted] > to you ever again. Be afraid -- BE VERY AFRAID<punctuation>!</punctuation>

Indeed. It's very hard not to see this in religious terms. I have the impression that the members of the anti-XML church are often the same people that hold the obviously silly idea that there is only one true data model that is universal and superior to all others in all situations. Their state of mind apparently makes them jump to the conclusion that the Church of XML makes similar claims, which of course they don't. I'm an active member of that church, so I should know. :-) Excuse while I go prepare my sermons for next week.

  • Jan Hidders