Re: Update: LAMP

From: Tony Douglas <tonyisyourpal_at_netscape.net>
Date: 31 Oct 2004 07:02:09 -0800

Kenneth Downs <firstinit.lastname_at_lastnameplusfam.net> wrote in message news:<hpj0mc.e1e.ln_at_192.168.10.210>...

> Hate to say this, but expect to see a lot more of MySQL. The theory is
> this. There is a growing buzzword in the free/open software community
> called "LAMP". A LAMP system is running Linux/Apache/MySQL/PHP. This is a
> very easy way to start writing web software, and is gaining momentum.

This combo has been kicking around for a few years now, although the "P" has variously meant Perl, PHP or (more recently) Python. Ack, ack, and thrice ack.

> It is reasonable to expect that LAMP will be the Visual Basic of Linux,
> bringing it into the mainstream with lots of garbage software.

Well, GIGO (at least in the case of the "M" part).

> FWIW, a better alternative is probably LAPP, for
> Linux/Apache/PostgreSQL/PHP, which gives the three musketeers a more
> fitting partner.

I have been, and remain, a doubter that the open source movement could produce a relational database worth the name. That OS has put up with MySQL, and even taken it to its' bosom, in the presence of PostgreSQL (a university project) or even now Ingres, supports my gloomy view. Here's hoping Rel can grow up fast - but even then, it's got a mountain of "mindshare" (urgh) to move to supplant MySQL.

  • Tony