Re: The MySQL/PHP pair

From: Tony Douglas <tonyisyourpal_at_netscape.net>
Date: 30 Oct 2004 06:48:11 -0700

"Dawn M. Wolthuis" <dwolt_at_tincat-group.comREMOVE> wrote in message news:<clrv0u$928$1_at_news.netins.net>...

> I'm guessing she is right ;-)
> My impression when working with MySQL for a very short time was that it
> provided the worst of both worlds, however, I've heard more "good results"
> stories since then, so I'm more inclined to cut it slack and figure that it
> does help developers with lean & mean, big bang for the buck development.
> It almost looks like the more we remove from an RDBMS, the more productive
> our development environment becomes. Hmmmmmmmm. smiles. --dawn

Because there is less of a penalty for "thinking like a programmer", and less reward for "thinking like a database person". Programmers don't generally "get" thinking in sets, but do "get" thinking about a row at a time, and manually navigating, and all that other awful stuff. Once they "get" thinking about things relationally, life really does get easier. And faster. This was the topic of one of the "missing posts" in another thread. I might start a topic on this...

Cheers,

  • Tony