Re: By The Dawn's Normal Light

From: Dawn M. Wolthuis <dwolt_at_tincat-group.comREMOVE>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 16:24:58 -0500

"Laconic2" <laconic2_at_comcast.net> wrote in message news:26idnSGXD_zWLx_cRVn-tg_at_comcast.com...

> "Dawn M. Wolthuis" <dwolt_at_tincat-group.comREMOVE> wrote in message
>
> > A List is a logical type and not an implementation feature. I haven't
> > worked enough with SQL cursors to know if they function the same as if
> using
> > an indexed list, but I suspect they do in some cases. However, if you
> > decide you need an ordered list in SQL and you add an attribute to
handle
> > the ordering, then a SQL cursor will not help with renumbering your list
> if
> > you need to in order to accomodate an insertion, for example. Again, I
> > haven't worked with SQL cursors enough to answer adequately, I
> > uspect. --dawn
>
> What is it about a list as a logical type that makes it possible to
> accomodate an insertion?

I'm simply defining it with that feature since the lists I work with do operate that way, thereby giving another collection type (other than a "simple" relation) where the database handles adds & deletes with more features than standard relations.

> Also, what is the difference between a list and the unending tape
described
> in the Universal Turing Machine?

It's been too long -- no recollection on that here. Cheers! --dawn Received on Fri Oct 29 2004 - 23:24:58 CEST

Original text of this message