Re: Call for an API standard for SQL statements

From: Laconic2 <laconic2_at_comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 08:17:55 -0400

"Tony Douglas" <tonyisyourpal_at_netscape.net> wrote in message news:bcb8c360.0410281347.22552922_at_posting.google.com...

> Could this thread be summarised as, "I want an object model for the
> abstract syntax tree of an idealised SQL which can then be formed into
> SQL for a particular DBMS implementation" ?

If you will look in detail at what a cost based optimizer does with the query, in order to begin generating a tree of alternative solutions, I think you will find that it does something that might be described by the above wording. Received on Fri Oct 29 2004 - 14:17:55 CEST

Original text of this message