Re: By The Dawn's Normal Light

From: Laconic2 <laconic2_at_comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 17:53:40 -0400

"erk" <eric.kaun_at_pnc.com> wrote in message news:1098899907.484940.109850_at_f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> I can buy that atomicity is relative... that seems reasonable. So from
> the point of view of relational theory, sets and lists have no
> structure (their operators can do whatever they like, as with any other
> type), but relations do.

The trouble comes when a relation can have an attribute whose domain is a relation. Now there's an incestuous relationship between the relational engine and the type engine. The type engine has to know about relations, in order to be a type engine. The relational engine has to know about relations in order to be a relational engine. But do they each know that the other one also knows? Received on Wed Oct 27 2004 - 23:53:40 CEST

Original text of this message