Re: Nested Relations / RVAs / NFNF

From: Kenneth Downs <firstinit.lastname_at_lastnameplusfam.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 13:07:33 -0400

erk wrote:

> Hi again Marshall - I'm just jumping in haphazardly here.
>

>> So, on a related note, it's a little weird that we use integers as
>> keys.

> The key is a set of attributes, not the value of those attributes. The
> "key-ness" of an individual attribute (its membership in one or more of
> the candidate keys) is orthogonal to its type.

I think what Marshall is heading for is based on the observation that a surrogate key allows certain operations and disallows others. We commonly use integers for surrogate keys, but these integers allow other operations that make no sense for keys and can cause bad data. So if we want to maintain the tradition of strong typing and the use of surrogate keys, then Marshall's idea is a step forward on solid ground.

--
Kenneth Downs
Use first initial plus last name at last name plus literal "fam.net" to