Re: Arbitrary Constraints

From: Laconic2 <laconic2_at_comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 08:37:07 -0400

"Dawn M. Wolthuis" <dwolt_at_tincat-group.comREMOVE> wrote in message news:clml1n$fh4$1_at_news.netins.net...

> Are "constraints" the same thing as "business rules"? Have do constraints
> relate to application logic? If you remove all such constraints from
> "application software" and make these constraints available to both the
> database and the UI, what would be left for the application software to
> handle? This is not a question for which I have an answer, but am
> definitely interested.

I assume you are talking about database constraints.

Some constraints are business rules. Some application code enforces business rules.
There is a legitimate design question around where you want to enforce business rules.
And it's possible that the right answer might be "in more than one place".

I can easily see situations where the UI enforces a "field not blank" rule on the user, and the database enforces a "column not null" rule on the incoming data, even though this might be seen as redundant. Received on Wed Oct 27 2004 - 14:37:07 CEST

Original text of this message