Re: By The Dawn's Normal Light

From: robert <gnuoytr_at_rcn.com>
Date: 26 Oct 2004 20:33:24 -0700

"Bill H" <wphaskett_at_THISISMUNGEDatt.net> wrote in message news:<MHzfd.319538$D%.251133_at_attbi_s51>...
> Gene:
>
> I think this is the classic debate between business and IT. SAP and other
> "very" large ERP packages require the business to make (some) changes to the
> way they do business in order to obtain the benefits of their applications.
> After hundreds of millions of dollars (and I'm not joking) many business are
> back to functioning again. But there is a strong opinion that ROI is
> _nothing_ near as advertised.

i have always wondered how SAP pulled it off. i've worked in really big companies, and the business model, as manifest in code, is the value added of management. no way on God's green Earth will that exist anywhere else. that's what makes ABC MegaCorp special. very odd.

> Small to Medium businesses (SMBs) don't have this luxury, so the concept of
> altering their business practices to accomodate the rigidities of the
> application design is not practical.

having worked for a number of VARs (construction, manufacturing, distribution), quite the opposite is true. the small guys buy our software not for the code, but for the fact that Our Leader figured out a better way to run some business sector; we (the coders) made it manifest. the clients want the business model. if it were on 3x5 cards, that would suit them just fine. they're not buying software.

BobTheDataBaseBoy