Re: Arbitrary Constraints

From: Kenneth Downs <firstinit.lastname_at_lastnameplusfam.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 12:47:59 -0400

Tony Andrews wrote:

> Kenneth Downs wrote:

>> This may be a can of worms in asking for more constraint examples,

> because I
>> may have to fend off a lot of constraints that could be dealt with

> with RI,
>> but what I think I'm looking for are the very simple cases that are

> not
>> obviously structural, like simple credit limits, inventory >= 0 and

> so
>> forth.

> A lot of constraints I come across in my working life concern dates.
> In previous discussions you were quite dismissive of date-related
> constraints, saying they reflect bad design: history tables should be
> maintained automatically etc. But consider a hotel reservations
> system, where a new room booking must not overlap another booking for
> the same room. That isn't history, that's the future!

I did not dismiss your examples, I offered my own solutions, which proceed (apparently) from a different set of assumptions than yours.

As for scheduling, your experience agrees with mine, that this is a different kind of problem from the other two. Do you have in the schedule table a unique key on room + date? Do you have the concept of a fixed time period, such as March 25th means March 25th after 3:00pm until March 26th before 11:00am? If so, how can anybody overlap if you are unique on room + date?

--
Kenneth Downs
Use first initial plus last name at last name plus literal "fam.net" to