Re: Argument for 1NF by counter-example

From: Dawn M. Wolthuis <dwolt_at_tincat-group.comREMOVE>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 09:00:24 -0500

> > (Side note: why does the IT industry still pursue fads and trends like
> > an idiot dog chasing after cars, with boundless energy, no reflection
> > and the high likelihood of disaster ?)
>
> It is because the IT industry continues to be staffed by humans.
> Sadly, human are easily distracted by shiny things. Another reason:
> we die. If we didn't have new people coming up through the ranks
> all the time, then experience would rule the day. As it is,
> "youthful enthusiasm" (at its worst, a synonym for stupidity)
> often bowls over more experienced voices.
>
> As my dad used to say, you won't believe the stove is hot
> just because your parents' told you so. You have to burn your
> hands yourself.

I wish I had time to reply to Tony and your responses, but just a quick note before I head out -- while I'm sure that I look at shiny things because they are shiny, my interest in XML is because it looks old, like me, rather than like that relational database fad that has distracted the industry from real advances for a couple of decades. smiles. --dawn