Re: A simple situation shows confusion about basic concepts

From: Carlos Nunes-Ueno <sullascl_at_NOSPAM.hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 03:55:28 GMT

Ney,

I think you were right the first time. From the sound of it, I think this relationship is a many to many self join. Many UCs can relate to many other UCs in various ways. So /South America/ *contains* /Brazil/, /Uruguay/, and /Columbia/ and /South America/ *is a* /continent/. /Brazil/ *contains* /Santa Catarina/ which *contains* /Florianópolis/.

There's a book by Joe Celko called Trees and Hierarchies in SQL for Smarties (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1558609202/104-3557806- 7739162) that covers these kinds of topics. I don't know where it would be available in Brazil, though.

Anyway, good luck with your database.

By the way, I've heard Florianópolis is gorgeous. It's one of the places I dream of going someday.

Tchau,

Carlos Nunes-Ueno Received on Tue Oct 26 2004 - 05:55:28 CEST

Original text of this message