Re: Call for an API standard for SQL statements

From: Mikito Harakiri <mikharakiri_at_iahu.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 10:00:42 -0700

"Fredrik Bertilsson" <fredrik_bertilsson_at_passagen.se> wrote in message news:31f7e57d.0410242036.8c3962a_at_posting.google.com...
> "Marshall Spight" <mspight_at_dnai.com> wrote:
> > When you say "two dimensional", you mean the result has many
> > rows and two columns, right?

> I don't know if you are kidding or if you really don't know the
> definition of "dimension". A two-dimensional result is a result with
> many rows and *many* columns. Relational databases always returns this
> kind of result. But it many tables are joined, this kind of result
> could be a little clumsy. A hierachical view would be better.

Marshall is absolutely right with his definition. In fact, this question should be to introduced in the very beginning to save a lot of time:

"Tell me if relational tables are 2 dimensional?" "Oh, they are? Then, sorry, the conversation is over, you have yet a lot to learn". Received on Mon Oct 25 2004 - 19:00:42 CEST

Original text of this message