Re: By The Dawn's Normal Light

From: Marshall Spight <mspight_at_dnai.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 01:29:11 GMT

"Laconic2" <laconic2_at_comcast.net> wrote in message news:ZaednS2JA5mhneHcRVn-rg_at_comcast.com...

> As far as "order in the list" goes, I'd like to go back to the
> "information principle" of the RDM, here.
> The informational priciple would say that, if order really matters, we'll
> encode it in the data. So if the order in a set of entries truly matters,
> we'll add a column called "sequence_number", or something like that,
> unless we can use one of the existing items of data to express the ordering.

Sure, but we still have to support list operations on lists, and not require the user to simulate them with set operations, if we want our resulting system to actually be useful and convenient. That means we need insert with renumber, and delete with renumber.

Marshall Received on Mon Oct 25 2004 - 03:29:11 CEST

Original text of this message