Re: By The Dawn's Normal Light

From: Marshall Spight <mspight_at_dnai.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 01:22:34 GMT

"Dawn M. Wolthuis" <dwolt_at_tincat-group.comREMOVE> wrote in message news:clgmpi$2b3$1_at_news.netins.net...
> "Marshall Spight" <mspight_at_dnai.com> wrote in message
> >
> > > In fact, I think such systems are already out there. What would we lose
> if
> > > we used Java for defining types?
> >
> > The possibility of doing better?
>
> Good answer. But I would also like to see the language of the database and
> the language of data that is not-persisted be the same; constraints used by
> the database and those used by the UI be the same; etc. Additionally, if we
> could pick an existing language that is widely used and available, such as
> Java which is promoted by both IBM and Sun, we could leap that hurdle
> faster.

I'd say the requirement isn't "the same" but "compatible." In any kind of complex environment, we're going to be using *at least* C++ *and* Java as application languages, and maybe also Python, Perl, Ruby, C#, PHP, etc. I interpret this to mean that we *must* have some degree of compatibility with these, and also that we *must not* favor one too much above the others.

> Again, just typing perhaps without enough thinking, but it feels right to me
> to have at least a bit more consistency in our languages. That said, I'll
> with jsp that includes html, not to mention the taglibs. Maybe I'm just
> looking to return to the easy COBOL environments of old where we had to
> know, well, COBOL and maybe CICS plus IMS or VSAM to get the job done, plus
> SPF and JCL -- OK, nevermind.
> smiles. --dawn

Hey, that's what I do. I consider Java an excellent language, and not justs because it's popular and has libraries for everything. (OTOH, neither am I blinded to its deficiencies.)

Marshall Received on Mon Oct 25 2004 - 03:22:34 CEST

Original text of this message