Re: Call for an API standard for SQL statements

From: Laconic2 <laconic2_at_comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2004 16:10:07 -0400

"Alfredo Novoa" <anovoa_at_ncs.es> wrote in message news:sn4mn0l2qouc13iup0epag6olh3rfqfm7d_at_4ax.com...
> On 22 Oct 2004 22:29:43 -0700, fredrik_bertilsson_at_passagen.se (Fredrik

> It is very easy to create a hierarchical view from a query. You don't
> need to know the tables.

Agreed.

I tried to make this point a while ago with regard to Datatrieve. Datatrieve could use a query (called a "record selection expression") to generate a record stream from a collection of coordinated files, and then turn the result into a hierarchical query inside the report writer.

My point wasn't that Datatrieve was so cool. My point is that it was possible in tools that go back 25 years. So I would expect it to still be possible in the best of the newer tools. Received on Sun Oct 24 2004 - 22:10:07 CEST

Original text of this message