Re: Call for an API standard for SQL statements

From: Fredrik Bertilsson <fredrik_bertilsson_at_passagen.se>
Date: 23 Oct 2004 23:03:18 -0700

Alfredo Novoa <anovoa_at_ncs.es> wrote:
> >> I agree, the programming languages change a lot more often than the
> >> DBMSs. I have seen a project with six or seven programming language
> >> changes but it always used Oracle.
> >
> >I strongly disagree. I have seen many customer request for database
> >vendor indepent applications. Most major ERP vendors have multiple
> >database vendor support. Only if you make custom tailored
> >applications, you can accept being tied to one database vendor.
>
> Well, I agree with you about the "to sell in a box" products. The
> project I mentioned was of course a custom tailored system.

But what is your point, what different frameworks and designs should be used for custom tailored systems and "to sell in a box" products? Many applications starts as custom tailored and are later sold as standard applications. I think that the extra work for making a (new) application database vendor independent is rather small, why all new applications should aim to be independent.

The database market are also changing. Old vendors are decreasing its share and new vendors are coming. I think that there are strong reasons for custom tailored systems to be database vendor independent too. I know many customers stuck with old and expensive databases in their customer tailored system, that very much would like to change.

Fredrik Bertilsson
http://butler.sourceforge.net Received on Sun Oct 24 2004 - 08:03:18 CEST

Original text of this message