Re: Call for an API standard for SQL statements

From: Brian Inglis <Brian.Inglis_at_SystematicSW.Invalid>
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 16:15:59 GMT

On 21 Oct 2004 09:42:00 -0700 in comp.databases.theory, fredrik_bertilsson_at_passagen.se (Fredrik Bertilsson) wrote:

>One feature I use is that I want custom datatypes. Lets say I have a
>table column for telephone numers. In the database it is just a
>VARCHAR, but in my application I handle this value as an instance of
>the class TelephoneNo. Immediately after reading my framework converts
>the string to an instance of TelephoneNo. To be able to do this I have
>associated this column with the class TelephoneNo in a configuration
>object. But when my framworks runs a query it need to know which
>columns that are involved, so the right datatype could be used.

As different locales have different conventions for representation of telephone numbers, and splits between and sizes of the components e.g. UK exchange codes may be more or less than three digits in rural areas, and in Germany Direct Inward Dial to individuals within companies are like extensions in NA, but dialled as part of the phone number;
and being able to search and sort on each component meaningfully is desirable, and is lost when a telehone number is stored as a digit string, a telephone number should always be stored broken down into separate fields: country code, area code, exchange code, local number, extension.

--
Thanks. Take care, Brian Inglis 	Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Brian.Inglis_at_CSi.com 	(Brian[dot]Inglis{at}SystematicSW[dot]ab[dot]ca)
    fake address		use address above to reply