Re: Building the Meta-data Diff Engine

From: Laconic2 <laconic2_at_comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 07:11:48 -0400

"Dawn M. Wolthuis" <dwolt_at_tincat-group.comREMOVE> wrote in message news:clc37u$fqn$1_at_news.netins.net...

> But the good news is that it does not violate my rule that says what we
all
> know that "Metadata are data". Attempting to think and do otherwise gets
us
> into difficulty when we want to have end-user-extensible data structures,
> for example (although I realize that those are also considered bad form by
> many DBAs).
> smiles. --dawn

Metadata is expressed as data precisely so that it can be manipulated as data.

"Skunk works" always break somebody's rules. If not yours than somebody else's. Or even my own usual rules.

If "best practices" are the box, then "skunk works" are "thinking outside the box". Often not a good idea, but sometimes a very good idea indeed. Received on Sat Oct 23 2004 - 13:11:48 CEST

Original text of this message