Re: By The Dawn's Normal Light

From: Dawn M. Wolthuis <dwolt_at_tincat-group.comREMOVE>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 16:17:15 -0500

"Gene Wirchenko" <genew_at_mail.ocis.net> wrote in message news:qrain01kuibber5ael0lan26nqrjgsvd9d_at_4ax.com...
> alfredo_at_ncs.es (Alfredo Novoa) wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> >1NF is superfluous, a relation is always in 1NF
>
> I would not say that 1NF is superfluous, but rather that it is
> part of the definition of "relation".

In no way is 1NF part of the definition of a mathematical relation. However, even though Codd started out by using the mathematical model of a mathematical relation for databases, subsequently the database world has made up its own new definitions of what a relation is. I still use the mathematical definition of a relation where possible, but when you start throwing such things as 1NF into the definition, you stray from the original mathematical relation. --dawn