Re: Call for an API standard for SQL statements

From: Fredrik Bertilsson <fredrik_bertilsson_at_passagen.se>
Date: 22 Oct 2004 10:00:40 -0700

Kenneth Downs <firstinit.lastname_at_lastnameplusfam.net> wrote:

> This is far easier to achieve by specifying your actions with data and
> generating commands.

And how would you specify these actions? API calls maybe?

> I believe the concept of an API is an unnecessary
> abstraction that may prevent you from getting right to work.
What would an API prevent me to do?

> To wit, let's accept for now that any SQL statement can be decomposed into
> scalar values. If your framework deals in lists of values, then the last
> stop before passing a request to OLE-DB/ODBC/JDBC would be to build a SQL
> statement.
Here you are describing a simple API. I think that we just have an misunderstaning about the definition of API.

Fredrik Bertilsson
http://butler.sourceforge.net Received on Fri Oct 22 2004 - 19:00:40 CEST

Original text of this message