Re: The fable of DEMETRIUS, CONSTRAINTICUS, and AUTOMATICUS

From: Jonathan Leffler <jleffler_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 04:27:27 GMT

Laconic2 wrote:
> BTW, one of the features of DEC Rdb/VMS that I used to like was the
> "$RMU/EXTRACT" feature.
>
> This command would examine the system tables of a database and create an
> entire CREATE script that would
> create the database, and all the CREATE commands needed to set up database
> objects, schemas, and schema objects inside it. The create script was SQL
> DDL (DEC Rdb dialect). So "reverse engineering" an Rdb database was like
> shooting fish in a barrel, if you knew how to RTFM.

Sounds like DB-Export and DB-Import, provided with Informix databases since - oh, the mid-80's. A mechanism par excellence for transferring data between diverse architectures. (DB-Export creates a directory with an SQL script with all the DDL statements - appropriately sequenced - plus separate ASCII files of unloaded data, one per table.   DB-Import takes the output of DB-Export and re-creates the database.)

Doesn't every DBMS have something equivalent?

Email: jleffler_at_earthlink.net, jleffler_at_us.ibm.com