Re: The fable of DEMETRIUS, CONSTRAINTICUS, and AUTOMATICUS

From: Laconic2 <laconic2_at_comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 12:35:47 -0400

"Kenneth Downs" <firstinit.lastname_at_lastnameplusfam.net> wrote in message news:pnj8lc.52p.ln_at_mercury.downsfam.net...

> You can also run a diff of the current spec against the database itself,
> without performing an upgrade, and say, "Hey, somebody on site with DDL
> priveleges removed one of our constraints!! No wonder we've got bad data
in
> the GONKULATORS table. The last 10 hours of debugging are not covered
under
> support, bill the sucker!"

Who'se the DBA at the customer site, anyway? Dock it from his pay! That's why we give him the big bucks.

Oh, you say there's no DBA?? Who is responsible for the data?

Oh, you say there's a DBA but it's junior person on a guest worker visa, making about what they pay for McJobs?
Now we've got a problem!

> I tried to cover this topic more generally in my thread on upgrades, which
> must have been too long-winded a post, because nobody replied :(

Nope. It made me think, before replying. Sorry about that. ;-) Received on Thu Oct 21 2004 - 18:35:47 CEST

Original text of this message