Re: The fable of DEMETRIUS, CONSTRAINTICUS, and AUTOMATICUS

From: Laconic2 <laconic2_at_comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 06:37:47 -0400

"Kenneth Downs" <firstinit.lastname_at_lastnameplusfam.net> wrote in message news:slj6lc.lmi.ln_at_mercury.downsfam.net...

> Well, I'm going to have to give another go at explaining why I don't like
> people issuing DDL, no matter who they are or why they are doing it. I
> started a thread on this, but I guess it was too long-winded :(

This is going to be a long discussion, and I don't see any way of keeping it short.

I don't like to administer any database I can't control. And sometimes I need to issue DDL in order to be in control.

> My perspective comes from being the outside developer. The development
shop
> has got its product(s), with various enhancements underway at any given
> time for any number of customers. Not many customer databases exactly
> match the platinum-iridium release system at the shop, and no two are
> likely to match each other.

My perspective comes from being either the "inside developer" or the DBA. Or the "database user" who has users of his own.

It's a very different perspective.

Neither you nor I a blind dogmatists. But I think our differing perspectives have given us a pair of world views that are difficult to integrate together.

> In this situation, no change to the DDL can be considered trivial, the
> chances that parties will introduce conflicting changes is simply too
high.
> This brings us once again to (drumroll) storing biz rules in data, so that
> every time there is a change to meta-state it goes through an automated
> analysis that traps conflicts and errors.

No change to DDL is trivial. DBA is not a trivial job.

I've never had the pleasure of directly interfacing to a purchased database that was not modifiable by the shop itself.

I took a look at a couple of those, and passed on the opportunity to bid. They seemed like the project from hell.

"No user serviceable parts inside. Refer all service to a qualified technician."

OK for a TV set. Not OK for a mission critical, enterprise wide data container and integrator. Received on Thu Oct 21 2004 - 12:37:47 CEST

Original text of this message