Re: The fable of DEMETRIUS, CONSTRAINTICUS, and AUTOMATICUS

From: Laconic2 <laconic2_at_comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 09:05:29 -0400

Tony,
Maybe you can help me out here.

A lot of the current discussion seems to be turning on the issue of constraints, and basically
whether you express them as DDL, or as metadata, or as code that enforces them.

But it's my impression that in the "ultimate normal form", all of the constraints follow from the definitions of the keys and of the domains. So, isn't it the case that all the constraints like "person must be 18 years or older on start date" could be subsumed into the definition of the keys and the domains?

Where am I going wrong here? Received on Tue Oct 19 2004 - 15:05:29 CEST

Original text of this message