Re: Dawn doesn't like 1NF

From: Dan <guntermann_at_verizon.net>
Date: 18 Oct 2004 16:13:23 -0700

"Marshall Spight" <mspight_at_dnai.com> wrote in message news:<TlRcd.279812$3l3.55290_at_attbi_s03>...
> "Paul" <paul_at_test.com> wrote in message news:4173739e$0$59437$ed2619ec_at_ptn-nntp-reader03.plus.net...

[Snip]

> Let us propose that the relational engine is the servant of the type system.
> In that case, when the system sees a relation in the place of an
> attribute, why shouldn't it be able to use the relational operators
> on that attribute?

[snip]

> So it keeps being asserted, but I'm not hearing any actual problems
> with this approach.

Well then, perhaps more research into this issue is in order. This topic has been discussed at length before, many times actually. For starters, try this thread entitled "Database Design Method" from approximately two years ago. I think you'll find it worth your while, especially when considering the trade-offs. This particular post is as good as any to start at. The thread is long and there are many pearls:

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=g:thl1454004183d&dq=&hl=en&lr=&selm=Z_bs9.196%240I3.17251%40petpeeve.ziplink.net

> Marshall

  • Dan