Re: Dawn doesn't like 1NF

From: Marshall Spight <mspight_at_dnai.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 06:32:35 GMT

"Dawn M. Wolthuis" <dwolt_at_tincat-group.comREMOVE> wrote in message news:ckuq9t$844$1_at_news.netins.net...
> "Dan" <guntermann_at_verizon.com> wrote in message
> > Well, what you say here is what I believe is rather self-evident. But
> > using lists as domain values is a mistake!
>
> And can you lay that position out clearly?

If lists truly should not be used as domain values in an RDBMS, then we should not allow the domain "string", because the type string is a list of characters; nothing more, nothing less.

Since there are, in fact, no negative consequences of allowing strings as a domain type, I conclude that there are no negative consequences of allowing lists of arbitrary type.

Marshall Received on Mon Oct 18 2004 - 08:32:35 CEST

Original text of this message