Re: 4 the Faq: Strengths and Weaknesses of Data Models

From: Marshall Spight <mspight_at_dnai.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 15:46:51 GMT

"Dawn M. Wolthuis" <dwolt_at_tincat-group.comREMOVE> wrote in message news:ckrvt0$fts$1_at_news.netins.net...

> > Looking from this point of view, the classical relational model it is a
> > piece of jewelry.
>
> I'll accept it as a gem, but I think we have exaggerated its usefulness and
> have failed to make significant progress in the database arena for the past
> couple of decades in part because of the restrictions of the model and in
> part because of the implementations of the model. --dawn

I'm going back to 7th grade and diagramming that sentence for analytical purposes.

  1. I think we have exaggerated [RM's] usefulness and
  2. [we] have failed to make significant progress in the database arena for the past couple of decades

... in part because of ...

3) the restrictions of the model and
4) in part because of the implementations of the model.

A many-to-many effect:cause relationship!

ISTM that 4 cannot apply to 1, since 4 discusses implementation and 1 is a statement about the model. I'd agree that 3 applies to 1, and that 4 applies to 2, but I question whether 3 applies to 2.

Put another way:
Can it really be that part of the reason we have failed to make significant progress in data management in the last couple of decades can be blamed on restrictions on the RM? I would say no.

First I think we have to clarify what restrictions you are talking about. If it's 1NF, then I think at least the two of us can agree. If it's more than that, I'd like to know to what you're referring.

I would also point to other factors that have limited progress, such as your point 4), the monoculture of SQL and the tremendous dominance that commercial factors have had in data management. I live in the shadow of Oracle corp, (almost literally; they're about a mile from here, and the buildings are approximately a mile high.) And the lack of integration with our application languages.

Marshall Received on Sun Oct 17 2004 - 17:46:51 CEST

Original text of this message