Re: Nonproprietary file format for storing data in a relational database

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne_at_acm.org>
Date: 17 Oct 2004 03:57:47 GMT

In an attempt to throw the authorities off his trail, jespersahner_at_hotmail.com (Jesper Sahner) transmitted:
> Is there a nonproprietary file format for storing data in a relational
> database? - and which is the most accepted? - and does XML play a
> role?

This oughtn't be a relevant question.

If a relational database provides a way of serializing data from the database in a "nonproprietary form," THAT is the condition that is of value.

I don't want to need to care how a DBMS stores tables, indexes, views, and such; if the maker of the DBMS can use clever means to improve the storage mechanisms, so the system is [faster|more powerful|more reliable], more power to them, as that's more utility FOR ME.

What I care about is that there be some good way to get data out of it so that my data is not held "hostage" by the vendor.

Since XML is so woefully verbose, isn't actually a "file format," and since there are no standardized ways to serialize database systems in some XML-based form, the answer is clear: No, XML does not play any role in this.

--
output = reverse("ofni.secnanifxunil" "_at_" "enworbbc")
http://linuxfinances.info/info/postgresql.html