Re: Nonproprietary file format for storing data in a relational database

From: Bernard Peek <bap_at_shrdlu.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2004 19:08:11 GMT

In message <7bb4f21d.0410160829.70ced852_at_posting.google.com>, Jesper Sahner <jespersahner_at_hotmail.com> writes
>Hi!
>
>Usually when you store large amounts of data in a relational database
>you use e.g. a DB2-, SAS- or maybe Access-file format.
>
>Is there a nonproprietary file format for storing data in a relational
>database? - and which is the most accepted? - and does XML play a
>role?

There are lots of nonproprietary file formats. The dBase file format has been reverse-engineered and lots of applications use it. The CSV text file isn't proprietary and I have seen variants of it used for storing data from several entities. XML is the latest in a long line of non-proprietary formats.

--
Bernard Peek