Re: I have read tons of theory...but still...one question

From: Kostas <noemail_at_noemail.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 21:22:30 -0400

> If I have a cell phone for my personal use and one supplied by my
> employer, how do I encode it? I am not likely to give out my personal
> cell phone number to my employer.

Well if the database is your employer's you will simply never state it. If it is your database you make a Personal Cellular phone type and a Public Cellular phone type.

> No. They are the values for different keys. Two accounting
> transactions in a database can have the same amount, but be for quite
> different things. This is the same sort of situation. This is not
> redundancy as per the normal forms.

> No. It is a case of overcomplicating your design. Take another
> look at the normal forms.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Gene Wirchenko

I believe I understand NFs ok up to 4NF. So this is exactly what I was trying to get to, whether this is redundany if at all, and if yes if it is somehow related to 5NF. All your answers have been pretty clear on that issue.

Cheers!
Konstantinos Received on Sat Oct 16 2004 - 03:22:30 CEST

Original text of this message