Re: I have read tons of theory...but still...one question

From: Gene Wirchenko <genew_at_mail.ocis.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 18:20:51 -0700

"Dawn M. Wolthuis" <dwolt_at_tincat-group.comREMOVE> wrote:

>"Tony" <andrewst_at_onetel.com> wrote in message

[snip]

>> which means e.g. "supplier S1 supplies part P1 in quantities of 10".
>> Note that the S# value appears in 2 rows, as does the P# value P1, as
>> does the QTY value 10. This is not redundant, because the same FACT
>> is never recorded twice.
>
>No, but what do we call it when 10 facts are represented with a single row
>and only recorded once? This puts us in the possible position of having to
>later identify which of the 10 parts was actually shipped. So, calling this

     If you have to distinguish between the ten items, then do so. If you do not, then do not.

>"normal" doesn't buy us all that much, right? (what's your point, Dawn?
>I'm sure I have one, sorry -- just had to mention it)
>
>> A tuple like (S1, P1, 10) represents a FACT; an attribute value like
>> S1 does not.
>
>or 10 facts, as the case may be ;-)

     One fact.

     If you need to keep track of the items individually, then you can record ten facts. This would apply if the items were distinguishable in some way, say with serial numbers.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

Computerese Irregular Verb Conjugation:

     I have preferences.