Re: One True i18n Table

From: Lemming <thiswillbounce_at_bumblbee.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 18:10:03 +0100

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 07:42:11 -0400, "Laconic2" <laconic2_at_comcast.net> wrote:

>"--CELKO--" <jcelko212_at_earthlink.net> wrote in message
>>
>> If we are talking about the same thing, use SQLSTATE and attach
>> various languages to each code in a single table:
>>
>> CREATE TABLE ErrorMessages
>> (err_msg_code CHAR(5) NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY,
>> english_err CHAR (25) NOT NULL ...
>> french_err NCHAR (25) NOT NULL ..
>> esperanto NCHAR (25) NOT NULL ..);
>
>Shame on you, Joe!
>
>The above is an example if how to present cross tabulated data in tabular
>form. Despite appearances, it's not really in 1NF! The column names like
>"french_err" contain data masquerading as metadata. What happens when a new
>language is added to the list?
>

>How can you ever expect the unwashed masses to get it right if you, a great
>teacher of the truth, lead them astray!

I'm glad you said that, as I was thinking exactly the same thing, and worrying that I was missing some crucial piece of the puzzle. I'm still expecting Dawn to breeze in and claim she's finally managed to convert Mr. Celko to the "One True Path".

Lemming

--
Curiosity *may* have killed Schrodinger's cat.