Re: OO and relation "impedance mismatch"

From: Bernard Peek <bap_at_shrdlu.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 17:01:01 GMT

In message <iz%7d.409134$8_6.338269_at_attbi_s04>, Marshall Spight <mspight_at_dnai.com> writes

>Limiting classes to only be applicable to relational domains would be
>hamstringing them.

I've been thinking about this impedance mismatch for a while. One of the things that I think contributes is the assumption that classes are prescriptive rather than descriptive. That's a given if you approach the problem using the existing OO languages that I'm aware of. The impedance mismatch seems to be between OO languages and OO data storage systems.

I'm visualising a system where a piece of code might be something like:

CREATE CLASS REDTHINGS AS SELECT COLOUR = "RED" Thus classes would all be created dynamically as sets of objects meeting a selection criterion.

--
Bernard Peek