Re: One True i18n Table

From: Laconic2 <laconic2_at_comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 07:42:11 -0400

"--CELKO--" <jcelko212_at_earthlink.net> wrote in message news:18c7b3c2.0410141839.357a7928_at_posting.google.com...
> >> I am wondering how others have approached this. <<
>
> If we are talking about the same thing, use SQLSTATE and attach
> various languages to each code in a single table:
>
> CREATE TABLE ErrorMessages
> (err_msg_code CHAR(5) NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY,
> english_err CHAR (25) NOT NULL ...
> french_err NCHAR (25) NOT NULL ..
> esperanto NCHAR (25) NOT NULL ..);

Shame on you, Joe!

The above is an example if how to present cross tabulated data in tabular form. Despite appearances, it's not really in 1NF! The column names like "french_err" contain data masquerading as metadata. What happens when a new language is added to the list?

How can you ever expect the unwashed masses to get it right if you, a great teacher of the truth, lead them astray! Received on Fri Oct 15 2004 - 13:42:11 CEST

Original text of this message