Re: 4 the Faq: Strengths and Weaknesses of Data Models

From: Kenneth Downs <firstinit.lastname_at_lastnameplusfam.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 12:28:53 -0400

Laconic2 wrote:

> "Kenneth Downs" <firstinit.lastname_at_lastnameplusfam.net> wrote in message

>> It seems to be taken for granted by the majority in this ng that the RDM

> is
>> superior to the hierarchical and network data models.  I am in that
>> majority, but I realize it is probably for me more a matter of faith than
>> proof.

> Codd dealt with the comparison between network models and relational
> models in his 1970s paper.
> Most of what he said in that comparison is still true today. That was
> analysis, not just faith.

I will re-read, but my impression was that the hierarchical model had no rigorous basis for comparison at that time, and so his criticisms may no longer be valid.

>> So the question is: why did RDM win the database wars?  Was it really on
>> strengths, or was it, shudder to think, just one of those trends that IT
>> goes through?
>>

> I want to answer an easier question: why did VAX Rdb/VMS win out over VAX
> DBMS?

<snip answer>

But are any of those features directly tied to the RDM, or are they simply the result of RDB developers having more respect for the time and effort of the developers?

--
Kenneth Downs
Use first initial plus last name at last name plus literal "fam.net" to